Udaipur, formerly the capital of the Mewar Kingdom. Founded by Maharana Udai Singh II in 1559, it’s set around a series of artificial lakes and is known for its lavish royal residences.
The city derives its name from the Maharana “Udai Singh” himself as “Udaipur”.
Udaipur is popularly known as the “City of lakes” , “Venice of East”. It is undoubtedly one of the most romantic cities in India. It is surrounded by the Glassy waters and Aravali Hills.
Udaipur is most visited in the winters as the weather is pleasant. It’s very popular for romantic getaways and luxury stays.
Most Famous Places to Visit in Udaipur -
- City Palace – The magnificent City Palace, the main royal residence, was built on the east bank of Lake Pichola, an artifical lake built in the 14th century by Udai Singh .
- Lake Pichola – An artificial fresh water lake which was built in 1362 AD, Lake Pichola is impossible to miss when on an Udaipur Tour. On this lake are located some of the most popular places to visit in Udaipur such as the islands of Jag Niwas and Jagmandir.
- Fateh Sagar Lake – Artificial lake, named after Maharana Fateh Singh, Fateh Sagar Lake is located on the northern side of Lake Pichola.
- Jaisamand Lake – Jaisamand Lake also known as the Dhebar Lake, is the second-largest human-made Lake in India.
- Sajjan Garh Fort – Most famous for its magnificent sunset view.
- Sahelion ki bari – Also known as the garden of maidens,Saheliyon-ki-Bari was constructed by the Mewar ruler, Maharana Sangram Singh II for the woman attendants who have accompanied a princess to Udaipur as a part of her dowry. This garden consisting of lotus pool, fountains, kiosks, marble elephants and a museum is a popular place to visit.
- Jagdish Temple – Jagdish Temple is a large Hindu temple in the middle of Udaipur in Rajasthan, just outside the royal palace.
- Bagore ki haveli – Bagore-ki-Haveli is right on the waterfront of Lake Pichola at Gangori Ghat. It is famous for its museum and cultural programme.
A few more places to visit in Udaipur
- Badi Lake
- Bahubali Hills
- Vintage Car Museum
- Sukhadia Circle.
- Karni Mata Temple (Ropeway)
Boating points in Udaipur –
Boating price typically starts from 150/- INR and may go upto 1000/- INR depending upon the boating point , type of boat , hours you want to paddle. Timings are from 9AM – 5PM.
- Lake Pichola
- Fateh Sagar Lake
- Sukhadia Circle
Places to visit near Udaipur –
If you’re visiting Udaipur all the way from your hometown and have a few days in hand, you would not want to miss the other historic gems.
Luxury Heritage stays in Udaipur-
- Taj Lake Palace – A Jewel in Lake Pichola. Jag Niwas is today the majestic and magnificent Taj Lake Palace of Udaipur.
- The Oberoi Udaivilas – Placed on the banks of Lake Pichola, the Oberoi Udaivilas was erected on the hunting grounds of the Maharaja of Mewar. Interlocked domes, expansive corridors, creme-colored facade, tell the tale of royalty.
- The Leela Palace – The Leela Palace, Udaipur, with its breathtaking view of the Aravalli Mountains stands majestically in a natural setting on the banks of the Lake Pichola.
- Shiv Niwas Palace Hotel – Located in the City Palace Complex. This palace was originally for special guests and dignitaries of the King.
- Fateh Prakash Palace – Lying in the City Palace Complex, Fateh Prakash Palace originally the site where Maharana Fateh Singh of Merwar used to organize his royal gatherings and functions for his special guests.
- The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace – Constructed in 1911 by Maharana Fateh Singh, this palace has now been turned into a luxury heritage hotel.
Other luxury properties –
- Devi Garh by Lebua
- Radisson Blu Udaipur Palace Resort & Spa
- Trident Hotel
- Ramada Udaipur Resort & Spa
- Hotel Lakend
How to reach Udaipur –
The nearest airport in the city is called the Maharana Pratap International Airport which is situated about 20 kilometres away from the city center. It is well-connected by air to all major cities in India.
By Train/ Bus
The city lies on a vast network of rail that connects it to major cities in India. In fact, the famous and luxurious Palace of Wheels also makes a scheduled stop in the city.
Udaipur is by far one of the most beautiful cities in India. For any bookings/queries. Please contact —